More about . . .

Friday, January 7, 2011

Triple Chocolate Chunk Cookies


Wow, it's been a really long time!  Life is too busy.  I just finished making some AWESOME cookies from my fresh ground whole white wheat flour :)  So these are healthy right?!?!?!  They are definitely a delicious way to eat food storage.  I haven't told my family they are made from whole wheat flour - no need to get them all suspicious about eating them.  I left the "whole wheat" part out of the recipe title too.  So here we go -

Triple Chocolate Chunk Cookies

2 1/4 cups whole wheat flour (I ground white wheat for this recipe)
1 tsp baking soda
1/2 tsp salt
2/3 cup unsweetened baking cocoa (I have cans of this in my food storage too!)
1 cup butter, softened
3/4 cup sugar (part of my food storage :)
2/3 cup packed brown sugar
1 tsp vanilla
3 large eggs
6 oz white chocolate bar, chopped 1/2 inch pieces (or 1 cup chips)
6 oz dark chocolate bar, chopped 1/2 inch pieces (or 1 cup chips)

1. Preheat oven to 350°. Lightly grease (spray and wipe off) or line a baking sheet with parchment paper or a baking mat.

2. In a medium bowl, combine whole wheat flour, soda, salt and cocoa with a wire whisk. In large mixing bowl, cream butter and sugars. Stir in vanilla. Add eggs one at a time. Combine completely. While mixing add flour mixture 1/2 cup or so at a time.

3. Hand stir-in chopped chocolates. Drop by tablespoonsful onto prepared baking sheets. Bake for 9 to 11 minutes. Cool on cookie sheets for 2 minutes. Remove to wire racks for cooling completely.  I usually like to eat my cookies warm, but I prefer these the next day after they have been stored tightly wrapped or in a ziplock - they get nice and fudgy.


Now I like to bake only a dozen cookies at a time - that way we don't eat too many! So after baking a dozen, I take the remainder of the dough and roll it up in plastic wrap in the shape of a tube (like you would find cookie dough in the grocery store). 


If I want to make it pretty, I wrap that in parchment paper. This dough can be refrigerated up to 1 week, or frozen for up to 6 months. 


To bake just take it out of the refrigerator (frozen dough should be thawed in the refrigerator for 24 hours), cut 1/4 inch slices, place on a cookie sheet and bake at 350° for 12 minutes.


And if you want to make bar cookies, lightly grease and spread dough into a 9x13 pan. Bake for 20-25 minutes.

Seriously.  Good.

3 comments:

jo said...

Just made these and they are the best chocolate chip type cookie I have ever made!! And with the chocolate and whole wheat flour, I am counting it as health food. :}

TexasMom said...

I am so glad they were a hit!!! Did you refrigerate the dough first? That's how I prefer to make them.

jo said...

I did refrigerate them first and this morning I am taking some to my friend Jayne. By the way, the raw dough is also excellent. :}