More about . . .

Monday, May 24, 2010

Dried Black Beans - An All Around Winner

Dried beans are a wonderful and inexpensive staple.  They are also full of nutrition and easy to store long term in #10 cans.  For years I have used canned black beans whenever I needed black beans in a recipe.  When the cost of these cans of beans kept increasing, I looked for an alternative.  I noticed that I could buy a one pound bag of dried black beans for the same price as a can of beans, but my dilemma was how to turn those dry beans into what I was already used to using "prepared" in the can.  It is so simple (although it does take a few hours) and a one pound bag yields the equivalent of 4-5 cans.  When I'm done I just place them in freezer quart ziplocks and freeze until needed.

First, put your dry beans in a pan and sort out any rocks (I almost always find a rock or two, but not today) and any odd looking beans.
Then rinse the beans and cover them with about 6 cups of warm water. Now the beans need to soak. There are 2 methods for this 1.  You can let them sit in the pan overnight or 2.  Bring the water to a boil, boil for 2 minutes, then remove them from the heat, cover and let sit for an hour.  I almost always use the second method, because it's quicker and requires less planning ahead!
   
                    
After your beans have soaked, drain off the water.  You now need to cook the beans.  So cover them with water, again, and put them back on the stove.  Bring to a boil and simmer for 1-2 hours.  The older the beans, the longer they'll need to cook.  I start checking the texture of the beans after 45 minutes, and then I check every 15 minutes until they have the mouth feel I am looking for.

                    
Then drain off most of the water.  I leave some water in the pan and bag it with the beans in case I need some "bean juice" in my recipe.


Ok, so now you just need to let them cool and bag 'em up.  I put over a cup and a half of beans in each bag - I'm pretty sure thats way more than would come out of the can.  Just look at how much more you get for the same amount of money!
Use however much you need and freeze the rest. When you need to use one of the frozen bags, just defrost on the counter for an hour or two or in the fridge overnight.  If you need them quicker pop the bag in the microwave for 1 minute on defrost (60% power), and you're off and running!

1 comment:

Janie said...

AHHHHHHHH... just found this blog and I LOVE IT!!
I have heard that soda and canned beans are two main forms of 'robbery' at the grocery store... for cost of ingredients vs. what they charge you.
I do the crock pot and freeze portions for my beans... Pintos do fine without the soaking...
I still admit to some cans of beans in my pantry because.. well just because... but I need to remember to do this more often!