More about . . .

Wednesday, May 19, 2010

The Weekly Grind


I can purchase a 25 pound bag of wheat for $5.85.  That is a lot of wheat, and I can grind it into a wonderful whole wheat flour in my NutriMill Grain Mill.Trust me, a bag of wheat grinds into lots of fresh flour which can then be turned into phenomenal bread or rolls or cookies or whatever!!  Now though, I have a problem. The other night our family of 6 had a "drive-thru dinner."  We don't do this very often, because we enjoy eating home cooked meals together around the dinner table, but sometimes life is busy and the occasional fast food can be a treat.  Well, by the time the whole family ordered their "value meal," the grand total for our little evening out was around $35.  I just couldn't help myself - my mind started running the numbers, and I figured out that this same $35 could have purchased 6 bags of wheat.  Thats 150 pounds of wheat my friends!!!!!!!  Do you know how much bread/cereal/rolls/cookies that would make?  Wow - so now my poor children have to suffer with me telling them that, "for the cost of that shake and onion rings (or insert any treat here), I could have bought 25# of wheat.  Do you know how much that would feed our family?"  Like I said, I just can't help myself - eating out will never be the same.  Now, you probably want to join in with my kids and say, "Ahhhhhhhhh c'mon mom."

2 comments:

jo said...

I love this story! Is your grain mill noisy? I love grinding my own wheat and I am thankful I am not gluten intolerant.

TexasMom said...

Awwww shucks - Thanks! Yes it's noisy, but not intolerable. I like to grind 12 cups of wheat berries, which ends up lasting me quite a while. That way I don't have to listen to it too often.